Kindergarten and school age children enrolled in Apple Child Care will walk with the staff to transport children between the school and centre. Parents are required to complete & sign a transportation agreement form that includes the details of the transportation arrangements. Private vehicles will never be used to transport children unless Alberta Transportation has issued and Operating Authority for the specific vehicle.
During transportation, children will be closely supervised. Attendance will be checked every time before children before departure from the centre and before leaving the school and again when children arrive at the centre.
Parents will be provided with a copy of the Transportation Policy which will be reviewed with them if transportation is required.
Transportation between Schools and the Centre
Parents must inform the child’s school of transportation arrangements. The Transportation Agreement will be renewed each school year. There is no additional fee for transporting children between the school and centre.
Methods of Transportation & Responsibility for Supervision of Children
Children transported to and from school by walking.
- Before school, Apple Child Care is responsible for the children from the time they are signed in to the centre to the time they are dropped off at the school, when the school becomes responsible for the children. The staff will stay at the school until the children go inside he school. Before leaving the school, an Apple Child Care staff member will inform a supervisor at the school that the children have arrived.
- After school, Apple Child Care is responsible for the children from the time they arrive at the designated meeting point at the school to the time they are signed out by a parent/guardian when picked up at the centre.
Child transported to and from school by school bus.
- Before school, Apple Childcare will deliver children to the school bus when the bus arrives. Apple Childcare is responsible for the children from the time they are signed in to the centre to the time they are delivered to the school bus.
- After school, Apple Child Care is will meet the bus and escort children from the bus to the centre. Apple Childcare is responsible for the children from the time they arrive at the bus stop to the time they are signed out by a parent/guardian when picked up at the centre.
*See Missing Child Procedures below for procedures that will be followed in a child does not show up after school.
Communication with Schools
Apple Child Care will establish a relationship with any schools we serve. Schools will be provided with a list of children that attend Apple Child Care. Schools will be informed if the staff is delayed before and/or after school and asked to supervise the children until we arrive.
Safety and Supervision
Children will be continuously supervised during transportation. Safety rules will be developed together with the children. If a child’s behaviour during transportation is consistently problematic and unsafe, parents will be responsible for transporting their child.
Children’s portable information, a first aid kit and a cell phone will be taken along whenever children are transported. At least one staff member with the group will hold valid first aid & CPR certification when children are being transported.
Ratios during Transportation: At minimum, a staff-child ratio of 1:15 for school age children and 1:10 for kindergarten children is maintained while children are transported to and from schools.
Severe Weather Conditions
- Apple Child Care will be open during our operating hours and transport children to and from their respective schools whenever possible. If weather conditions are such that we are unable to walk the children to school, the children will stay at the OSC and parents and the school will be notified.
- In the very unlikely circumstances that weather conditions develop during the day that are so severe that we cannot to the school, we will contact the school to inform them that we are unable to pick up the children. We will go to the school as soon as possible but if we are unable to get to the school, parents will be notified. If parents cannot be reached, emergency contacts will be notified.
- It is critical that parents inform us if their child will be absent after school.
- Parents must provide Apple Child Care with all the details of their child’s transportation arrangements using the Transportation Agreement form and sign the form at least one week before the date transportation is required. A new Transportation agreement is required annually or whenever transportation requirements change.
- Before school, parents are required to have their child at the center at least 15 minutes prior to departure times. If parents are unable to have their child at the center by this time, parents are responsible for transporting their child to the school.
- Parents are required to notify the center of absences in advance. Written notification is required whenever possible. This can be done with a phone call and followed up with a written note, text or email to the Director. This is especially important after school. (A $25.00 fee will be charged when parents do not inform the Center when their child will be absent after school.)
- Parents must ensure children have the appropriate clothing for prevailing weather conditions.
Program Supervisor/Director Responsibilities
- Provide parents with a copy of the Transportation Policy and review their responsibilities with them.
- Ensure each child has a current Transportation Agreement form on file that has been signed by parents.
- Before school starts each fall, the Director will ensure that each child that goes to school has a new Transportation Agreement on file. All relevant lists and attendance sheets will be updated prior to the first day children are transported.
- Up to date transportation lists for each school will be prepared and posted in the office and in the kindergarten and OSC rooms. The lists will include the names of the children, schools the children attend, school dismissal times, pick-up/drop-off locations and the departure times for kindergarten and OSC pick up.
- Monthly attendance sheets will be prepared for each specific drop-off & pick-up time and site (i.e. before school, after kindergarten, after school). The drop-off & pick up locations will be recorded on the attendance sheets.
- Prior to the first day of school each fall, a meeting will be arranged with each school’s administration to review the transportation arrangements between the school and the Apple Child Care. A copy of the Transportation Policy will be provided to the school. An appropriate pick-up spot will be determined and an up to date list of children attending the center will be provided.
- Staff who are familiar with the children will be scheduled to drop off and pick up children at each school. At least one staff member with each group holds valid first aid & CPR certification.
- Staff to child ratios based on Licensing requirements are maintained during transportation of children – 1:10 for kindergarten children and 1:15 for school age children.
- The Director will train the staff in the transportation procedures.
- A back pack containing a first aid kit and the children’s portable contact information is taken along whenever children are walking back and forth to school.
- The Director will record the first and last names of all children that will be absent and the reason for the absence, if provided, in the Communication Book and will record the absence on the attendance form.
- The Director will follow the Missing Child Procedures (below) if a child does not show up after school when expected.
Caregivers responsible for the transportation of children will participate in training on the Transportation Policy and procedures.
- All staff are required to maintain first aid & CPR certification
- Safety rules will be developed together with the children and reviewed at the beginning of the school year and regularly throughout the year as required. Safety rules will be posted in the OSC & Kindergarten rooms.
- Children will be actively supervised while transportation is in progress.
- Attendance sheets will be taken along whenever children are transported, and attendance is accurately recorded at all times.
- A cell phone and the back pack containing a first aid kit, the children’s portable/emergency contact information and instructions on what to do if a child is missing is taken along whenever children are transported.
- While walking with children, a staff member must always lead the group of children that are being transported whenever there is potential danger – i.e. parking lot, sidewalk next to a street, crossing a roadway, etc. The second staff member will walk at the end of the group. When only one staff member is present, he/she will walk in front of the group, constantly checking to ensure the children are walking safely. For safety reasons, the children may walk alone or in pairs, not in groups of three or four unless in a safe area such as the school grounds.
- Caregivers will keep the Director informed of any concerns that may arise when transporting children.
Morning Transportation Procedures
- The staff will ensure children are ready on time for their departure from the centre.
- The staff member walking with the children will do a roll call using the appropriate transportation attendance form before departing from the centre. All children who are absent must be recorded as absent on the attendance sheet.
- When children arrive at the school, the staff do a head count to ensure all children have arrived safely.
Afternoon Transportation Procedures
- The staff will inform children in advance of what to do if they can’t find the Apple Child Care staff; they must wait inside in the school office.
- When parents phone in absences, it will be recorded in the Communication book and on the transportation attendance form. Written notice from parents is encouraged (i.e. e-mail or written notes).
- The staff will double check for absences and update the attendance sheet prior to departing from the center to pick up children from school.
- The staff will be at the designated meeting spot at the schools prior to dismissal times
- Staff will record attendance as children arrive at the meeting spot. If all children are accounted for, roll call will be done and we will depart for the centre.
- When inside the centre, staff will do attendance using the on-site attendance form to record accurate attendance times for each child.
- The Missing Child Procedures (below) will be followed if a child does not show up after school when expected. Any incidents of a displaced or missing child will be reported to the Director immediately. A child will be considered “missing” if he/she has not arrived on the meeting spot at the school when expected and the parents cannot explain the child’s absence.
Missing Child Procedures: Child Does Not Arrive as Expected after School
If a child does not show up after school when expected, Apple Child Care staff will attempt to locate the child. The following procedure will be followed.
- The staff picking up the child will inquire with the school as to the whereabouts of the missing child. If the child’s absence is verified, the staff leave the school. If the absence is not verified, the staff will call the parent/guardian. If the parent cannot verify the absence, the staff will inform the Director and the staff & children will proceed to the centre.
- The Director will call the parent/guardian. The parent will be asked to go to the school. If the parent/guardian cannot be reached, emergency contacts will be contacted.
- The Director will go to the school and work together with the school and parents in an attempt to locate the child.
If a child cannot be located and there is no explanation for his/her absence, the police will be notified. Licensing will be contacted immediately, and a critical incident report will be filed using the prescribed form. (See the Incident Reporting Policy)
Original effective date: April 1, 2018